1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The DogBone - a very versatile mount!

Discussion in 'Dog Bone' started by Rob Appleby, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Rob Appleby

Rob Appleby New Member

So what is the DogBone?... It’s a foam covered tubular mount with a 1” RAM ball at either end (hence the ‘DogBone’ name!). At a glance it doesn’t appear to be much, but with a little thought it’s an incredibly versatile piece of kit. I swapped the 1” ball for a 1.5” ball at one end, purely as I’d run out of 1” RAM double sockets. I also felt this would potentially increase its rigidity when mounted in certain positions. As much as I used a RAM ball mount, it’s possible to swap the mount to make it compatible with the GearTrac, MightyMount, etc. I know, I said that for the PanFish range as well, ingenious or what!

I decided to have a play using a MightyMount with a 1.5” ScrewBall installed.

The DogBone was attached to this with the aid of a 1.5” RAM double socket. So how did this all work out?. Great!, hopefully the photos below should explain my setup reasonably well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really love the underwater position shown below!. With the upper RAM mounted loosely tightened the camera is easily rotated to any chosen position, full 360 degree coverage!.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the photos above it can be seen that with a little thought when positioning it, the DogBone can be cover many potential angles!. I’ve only experimented mounting it in a MightyMount, placing it in the GearTrac will no doubt open up yet more possibilities.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. n2bassfishing

n2bassfishing New Member

Great review Rob. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these to do some under water shots.

3. Rob Appleby

Rob Appleby New Member

Me neither!. I just picked up another GoPro HD with an EyeofMine underwater housing. That's me set video wise, there's no more room for expansion without seriously upsetting my good wife! :rolleyes:

4. n2bassfishing

n2bassfishing New Member

I understand. I just ordered my Go Pro 2 yesterday.

5. Boogie-D

Boogie-D New Member

Thats sick.. i just sent you, luther, and jose an email.. i was wanting to beef up the PanFish like how you did with the DogBone with 1.5 Ram Ball on the bottom of the PanFish and connected to a Mighty Mount and a threaded 1.5 Ram Ball... super cool...

6. Trey Leggett

Trey Leggett New Member

I think this is a great GoPro set up, can't wait to try it out. I'm also going to try and mount the Dog Bone on a Panfish for better extension and articulation.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  7. SHRED

SHRED New Member

Do you have any videos we can view from the first pictured angle or any using strictly the dogbone?

thanks