1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the Hobie H-bar

Discussion in 'Dog Bone' started by Shaun, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Shaun

Shaun Member

I was at the boat show this weekend and was playing with the dog bone and the panfish portrait. I mounted a piece of gear trac on the side of the H-bar to see what kind of new camera angles I could get.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

3. Fish Taco

Fish Taco New Member

Okay Shaun, you just gave me a great idea! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

First of all... how did you mount this on the tubing... zip-ties or....??? (Just curious)

I have the Stand N' Fish leaning post/pontoon system on my yak... (see photos below) and have been mulling over how I'm going to take advantage of this 1" anodized aluminum tubing for mounting my GoPro Hero 2. Since I already have some height with the leaning post, I was thinking it'd be easy to use this to my advantage to attach my camera... most logically a side-mounting option since at times I would be standing in the center and don't want it to get in the way. I purchased a Action Sports Camera Mount (with the GoPro adapter) for mounting to the tubing but I have yet to put it on my yak. (see photo of mount) Action Sports Camera Mount.jpg

I opted for this mount over the GoPro "handle-bar mount" as I'd heard some negative reviews about people having their mounts fail and losing their cameras, this Action Sports mount is very robust & sturdy, though more expensive.

Anyway, your idea of using a section of GearTrac on tubing has opened up a whole other line of possibilities!!! Hmmm.... lots of ideas here!

Here is where we need to hear from Luther on this...

Okay Luther, I'm going to challenge you to a new YakAttack product based on Shaun's idea here... and that is to make an adapter/fitting that works with any piece of GearTrac that can securely attach to various diameters of tubing (starting with 1" inch of course! ;) ) Are you up for it? I can see this being used in many applications for anyone that has any railing, tubing or their yaks, or even for off-road 4X4s, bicycles, motorcycles, boats... and on and on!!! What do you think??? I'll be your first customer!!! :)

So glad I joined this forum! :cool:

Here's my Stand N Fish leaning post...
    MalibuStealth14_02.jpg MalibuStealth14_03.jpg MalibuStealth14_04.jpg

4. Shaun

Shaun Member

5. robchoi

robchoi New Member

Very cool, Shaun. You should get some great footage from that angle!

6. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

I agree. The mounts that Shaun used are prototypes of a new rail mount that we're building. It will fit tubes in the vicinity of 1-1/8" diameter but we will add other sizes as we move along. We have a couple dozen sets of the prototype clamp out in the field being used now, mostly on side handles of the Hobie Pro Angler.

It's still a few weeks until we have production rail mounts available.

Thanks!

7. Fish Taco

Fish Taco New Member

Will those first mounts be able to squeeze a 1" inch tube around them, or will they only work on 1-1/8" tubes? Can you tell I'm chompin' at the bit? :p

Thanks!

8. O Shin Rin

O Shin Rin New Member

Man and I thought I carried alot on my yak but Fish Taco takes the cake and then some LOL but I do like it

9. Fish Taco

Fish Taco New Member

LOL... yeah, I know it appears like overkill to some... but I won't always have the Stand N Fish system on my yak unless I'm fishing inshore bays and skinny water... the leaning post is removed pretty easily with just four pins, and the pontoons are one pin for each side... not too bad! :cool:

10. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

Not sure it will clamp down that far but I can make you a set for your bar. Shoot me an email and we will get it going.

11. Fish Taco

Fish Taco New Member

Thanks! Will do Luther! :)