1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Little Stick" in action on the river

Discussion in 'Stakeout and Anchoring Systems' started by Juan Veruete, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Juan Veruete

Juan Veruete New Member

Positioning is critical to making a great presentation. The report below highlights how I used my Little Stick to turn what was a very slow day of fishing as reported by 10 other anglers I spoke to on the river.. into a nice day on the water for me! :)

Today was sunny, the water was falling slowly with 2+ feet of visibility and we were enjoying a small warming trend. When I left the river the air temps were about 54 degrees apparently headed toward 64! Not bad for mid March!! Water temps are still likely around 40 degrees. I didn't have a thermometer but I was hanging my feet of the side of the yak a lot... and it was down right cold!

I zeroed in on a very strong location and presentation pattern in about an hour of fishing. In the three remaining hours, I landed 10 smallmouth with one comming unbuttoned. The smallmouth ranged from 15.5 - 17 inches. I was pressed for tiem so I decided that I'd leave once I landed 10 smallmouth. I was still enjoying a consistent bit when I left. Fish were located on what i call a "soft edge"... meaning they were related more to current edges rather than to "hard objects" such as boulders, ledges, or hard drops. They were definitely in the top 1/3 of the pools though. Best pool depths were over 4 feet.

I caught one fish on a pointer 100 by positioning myself along the bank at the top of the pool and throwing it out into the current... and letting it swing down river of me into the softer current edge of the pool. The most constant producer was the Winco's Predator Craw rigged on a 1/8 oz snag resistant Flutter Head. I fished the bait in much the same way by casting up river into current then letting it tumble along the bottom and pendulum into the softer current. I would then "crawl" the bait excruciatingly slow out of the current and into the softer flow of the pool. I crawled the bait with only very brief pauses. Once could feel that the bait was in the really calm water i recast because the fish where NOT holding in the slack water under the still bubbles. The crawl was SLOW... VERY SLOW. I could feel every pebble, crack, and rock.

My YakAttack "Little Stick" weighed in heavily as a factor in my success on this mid March day. I had to get stationary to make the slow deliberate presentation needed to make the smallmouth bite. The Little Stick pushed down through the scupper kept me stationary in the shallow soft current allowing me to make the best possible presentation!
    [​IMG]

This is me getting "Bass Thumb"! :)
    [​IMG]

2. Hammerhead

Hammerhead New Member

Nice Juan!

3. oubassman

oubassman Member

Nice review. Looking forward to getting my own little stick sometime, maybe at the YakAttack tourney

4. Juan Veruete

Juan Veruete New Member

It's a nice piece of gear and a must have for any river kayak fisherman. It takes a beating too... believe me... I don't "baby" my gear :)

5. oubassman

oubassman Member

I think I'm going to pick mine up when I go down for the YakAttack tourney in May.

6. Knot Right

Knot Right New Member

I initially started carrying my Little Stick as an additional stick for staking the kayak in place after the Park N Pole was already deployed. I used it to keep the kayak pointed exactly where i wanted it for filming. Now, I find myself using it more and more as my primary stake even in water deeper than the pole. It works great, lays under your leg out of the way and it is a great gator negotiator and snake attitude adjuster. For an added twist, I added a piece of "soaker hose" over the end and drop it through the scupper and it makes a vertical "drag" or "slide" anchor. Great product!
    Chad