1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Humminbird PiranhaMAX 170 Fish Finder Install

Discussion in 'Depth Finders' started by GlockGuy, Jan 7, 2012.

1. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

NOTE - This installation features an in-hull mounting for the transducer. At the time, there weren't really any good methods for mounting your transducer in the water without risking damage. That has changed and the next time I install a fish finder, I'dd detail one of those methods.

For starters, ensure you have all the tools and supplies that you need. Nothing ruins an install more than 3 or 4 trips to the store that rob you of momentum...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm a big fan of stainless steel hardware, so that's what I used.
    [​IMG]

Next, I started working on a spot for my transducer. I decided that right below me would be the most accurate spot. I decided to protect it with a foam block, since I keep spare paddles and such inside my hull. The key is to start with a block that is thick enough that you can shave it to match the shape of the hull.
    [​IMG]

I sanded the area where the block would go, cleaned it VERY well with alcohol and applied LEXEL to the bottom of the block. I taped it in place -
    [​IMG]
    ...and then put a deflated beach ball over the top.
    [​IMG]

I inflated it enough to press the block down to conform to the hull, but not to distort it.
    [​IMG]

While that was curing, and I gave it almost 48 hours, I began mounting the base. While not in these photos, I spent a lot of time on the water and in the boat in my driveway figuring out where stuff would be out of the way, yet reachable. I also coordinated it with my RAM GPS mount install, which is in a separate post.
    The key, as others have mentioned, is to install the bolts one at a time. I used Allen head as much as possible to deter theft.
    [​IMG]

The eagle-eyed among you will notice that 2 of the 3 screws are phillips instead of allen. That's because I decided to place a deck loop underneath and wasn't able to get allen screws of the proper length. The loop serves as a washer and also a place to tie up loose cables. RAM mount holes are in a pattern that allows for this...
    [​IMG]

By now, it was time to mount the transducer. I believe in LEXEL, but please heed this warning - PURCHASE IT IN A CAULK TUBE! I had to fill the cavity in my block so that the transducer could be worked down into the LEXEL until the transducer was 1/4" above the hull.
    [​IMG]

Then, I encapsulated the transducer. This protects it and makes the temperature reading a bit more accurate. I know it'll never be as accurate as a sensor that is IN the water, but this helps. Anyway, unless you have Popeye arms, USE A CAULK GUN! :evil: :evil:
    [​IMG]

Next, I had to run my cables. I decided to go the rubber stopper route. Find one that is the right size, prepare the hull by drilling a hole (After careful marking, of course!) then put the stopper in the hole.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I marked a line above where it bottomed out so that it would be a tight squeeze to get the stopper to fit and then cut a groove.
    [​IMG]

Some holes and a slice to access the channel I had just made for the cables and it was ready to install...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After fitting, LEXEL seals it all up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't document the battery box as well, but here are the highlights - Pick a good, watertight box and make sure it has enough foam to keep things from moving around. Ensure that the + battery connection is the one that gets the 1A inline fuse...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to mark my connectors and chose to use a spade for one and a socket for the other so that there is NO WAY to reverse the leads.
    [​IMG]

I made sure everything had LEXEL to keep it in place and watertight. It may not be perfect, but if I ever have enough water in my hull to get in that box, hit the leads and fry the battery, I have MUCH LARGER issues to deal with! :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock:

I used pool noodle on both sides and the bottom of the box so that it now rests between the scuppers. This puts the weight in a good area and keeps the box from moving around.
    [​IMG]

The finished product -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  2. n2bassfishing

n2bassfishing New Member

Nice install Mike. I'll be posting mine as well as soon as I figure out if I'm going make it portable or not.

3. cvharrison

cvharrison New Member

n2bassfishing: Please do. I'd be interested in seeing a portable install if that's what you're planning on putting in.

4. chuckm310

chuckm310 New Member

Nice install

Great looking install. I can see the advantage of the equipment while flying across the water at 2MPH? Kissing of course.
    My new ride 115 will have depth finder but that's it. GPS goes in my shirt pocket. JOB WELL DONE.

5. chuckm310

chuckm310 New Member

Kidding of course!

6. LSmoot

LSmoot New Member

GlockGuy,

Is that a RAM mount that is holding the fish finder? I just bought a ParanhaMax 170, and plan on using a geartrac and screwball to mount it, but I'm not sure what RAM mount will be compatible. Can you please provide a model number? Thanks in advance!!

Lucian Smoot

7. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

RAM-B-107-1U is the proper mount for the PirahanaMax 170!

8. LSmoot

LSmoot New Member

Thank you!

9. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

No problem. The tutorial above shows my '08 WS Ride 135. My '12 WS Ride 135 doesn't have a FF yet, but I don't think I'll permanently mount the transducer inside the hull. I'll put it on an arm made of YakAttack components so that I can deploy it when I'm on the water and completely remove it when I'm not. By putting it directly in the water, it will give me a proper temperature reading, but taking it off means it won't be bumping around while I'm transporting my kayak.

10. cvharrison

cvharrison New Member

Can u post and provide pictures of that non-permanent setup once you install it!?

Thanks!

11. GlockGuy

GlockGuy Member

Sure, whenever that is...

12. LSmoot

LSmoot New Member

Is there an effective alternative to the rubber stopper when running cables? The reason I ask is, although the rubber stopper I'm sure works great, it would be nice to be able to pull the cables down into the hull when transporting. Looks like the goop that is applied will not allow one to do this.

Thanks.