1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you Mount your Roto Grip?!

Discussion in 'New Products' started by Yak Chum, May 4, 2016.

1. Yak Chum

Yak Chum Administrator Staff Member

Post photos and explanations of mounting your Roto Grip to your kayak and what your holding with it!

20160415185342_IMG_5524 (Medium).JPG

mzs627 and flyon_John like this.
  2. STLKayak

STLKayak New Member

I posted this before... Here is a picture of my Roto Grips mounted on Hobie YakAttack H-Bar Mighty Mounts. (That is a mouthful.). I am thinking about adding them to the other side as well for my Park-n-Pole. I am also trying to come up with a way to use them to hold the paddle vertically for when I am standing. Thinking maybe I could find a way to mount them on the Vantage Seat back.

[​IMG]

Yak Chum - That looks like a Cuda 12 your paddling... but... third party rudder? Love my Hobie, but I do miss my Cuda 12!

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  3. Yak Chum

STLKayak,

Close but thats a Jackson Kayak Kraken 15.5 a real ocean going rig! The Steering is a Sea-Lect Designs Tru-Course System rudder. So its the same rudder just upgraded foot braces. This way i can steer like how you rudder a plane gas pedal stylein!

The Hobie PA is a great boat if you are bass fishing in minimal weedy areas other than that personally I just think its way too heavy for pulling through the sand.

4. STLKayak

STLKayak New Member

AH - I new something did not look right on the rod tip holder and handle. The rudder foot braces look amazing, I really like that design. Being land locked here in the midwest, you do not see many Krakens! Cuda's both 12 and 14, now that is a different story. I really like the PA. It has opened up some new fishing opportunities for me. There are DEFINITELY some trade off's as well. I sold my 2015 Cuda 12 to help afford the 2016 PA 14. No regrets. But like everything there are compromises. I could definitely use another boat. I have actually been talking to a friend of mine who was just picked up by Jackson about buying a 2015 Coosa. That would be a great additional boat for me especially considering the number of small rivers here in Missouri.

5. Yak Chum

The Coosa HD and the new Kraken 13.5 are excellent additional options to the Cuda line for these lakes ponds and rivers. The Coosa HD basically a smaller version of the Big Rig has Dock Like stability of the Big Rig or the PA but can be paddled with great turning control with a pretty decent tracking hull. The Kraken 13.5 has that added speed allowing the angler to paddle 5+ mph with ease where the Cuda was a heavy sweep to get up and going over 4 mph. These 2 boats added to the fishing lineup are awesome and hoping to see them in a thermaform mold soon to drop more of the weight off.

6. STLKayak

STLKayak New Member

You trust the thermaform process? I love the idea of lightening the load, but there is a lot to be said for the strength of rotomolding...and throwing a lot of plastic at problem areas. I loved my Cuda 12. And though it was not the lightest boat out there, it was one tough son of a gun. Never worried about beaching on any surface, or stump burns, or rip rap.

I have heard stories of thermoforming being stronger overall per weight, but more prone to cracks from things like stump bumps or boulders. Jackson has been doing thermo now, for what 2 years? What does the reliability data look like so far?

7. Yak Chum

Im a salt guy. Lighter the better. Long beaches are rough. Not worried about landing on rocks much.

Yeah JK for 2 years but the tech has been around for a long time especially in sea kayaks. I know a bunch of guys who paddle Eddy Lines and they swear by them. A majority of those guys dumped their Hobies and went back to paddling for the ease and joy of a light stable but fast kayak.

8. STLKayak

STLKayak New Member

Had the front Roto-Grip crack yesterday. My setup has it holding the paddle outside my PA14 on the right hand side. (Pictures a couple of posts up.) Not sure how it happened. I was fishing in a lot of HEAVY cover and grabbing the paddle constantly to make adjustments. I moved the rear one forward and using the cracked one in the back, as more of a paddle rest now, since it will not grip. But it keeps me fishing until a new one is shipped from ACK on Wednesday.

9. Yak Chum

Ouch sorry to hear that.

10. STLKayak

STLKayak New Member

I just installed the new Roto-grip today. Wondering if I might have banged it on a tree or something...or maybe it was defective. Either way, you know if these things have a warranty?

That being said, I picked up a couple more at Cabela's this morning, for my Ascend H12 guest kayak. Plus a couple more GT90 gear tracks and another cooler for that kayak. Warranty aside, these paddle holders work so much better than taco clips or bungees like I used on my Cuda 12.

One last thought, any suggestions on mounting these for use while standing? I just bought a new Accent SUP paddle for my Hobie PA and need to figure out a way have the paddle in easy reach, but out of the way while standing. I am thinking that I might be able to rig one of the Roto-grips to the top of the seat back and store the paddle behind me. If it works out, I will post a photo.

11. Cuivre

Cuivre New Member

Just getting into the kayak fishing process-still waiting on delivery of my Pescador 12 Pro from ACK. I used to live in St. Chas county (originally from Pike County). Wondering what good streams you fish? Courtois and Huzzah are good little streams, but the aluminum hatch probably gets pretty bad during the summer.

12. STLKayak

STLKayak New Member

Cuivre - I mostly Large Mouth fish lakes in Southerm Illinois. I have kayaked the Meramac, Courtois, and Huzzah... I got a little soured on rivers when last August I unfortunately found a body on the Lower Meramec.

Buddy of mine is planning a weekend trip on the Gasconade. Small Mouth fishing. I have never been on that river, and am torn whether or not to take my Pro Angler or an Ascend H12 I just bought as a guest kayak, river kayak. Being able to peddle back up to eddies in the river would be a huge advantage while fishing, but I really don't want to knock the fins off my mirage drive if the small Rapids take me someplace unexpected.

13. Cuivre

Cuivre New Member

Finding a body would definitely give me the heebie-jeebies! Been on the Gasconade around Linn, MO- nice river, but it was int he middle of the night, in the middle of winter when I was on it- gigging rough fish out of a jon boat with a coworker. I did see some good bass in it though.

14. Yak Chum

Contact YakAttack Customer support. I'm not sure of there's a warranty on the roto grips but YakAttack stands behind their products.

15. mzs627

mzs627 New Member

Thinking of installing the same setup on my kraken. Did you buy the setup as a set or bought what jackson was selling and just installed the foot brace separate?

16. Yak Chum