1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geartrack install with Dogbone and portrait

Discussion in 'Dog Bone' started by JoseC, Feb 8, 2012.

1. JoseC

JoseC Guest

[video=youtube;-plmpy0vbNM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-plmpy0vbNM [/video]

2. Fish Taco

Fish Taco New Member

Sweet set-up... I'm considering this as well for my Stealth 14/GoPro Hero 2... The Dog Bone looks very versatile and I love how you can swing it down for an underwater shot too... nice!

3. Juan Veruete

Juan Veruete New Member

JoseC, what camera are you mounting in the video? Nice mount job! I'm actually in the process to make an order for parts to do the same thing. I was trying to decide if I wanted to mount on geartac or on the mighty mount... I think I just made my decision! :)

4. YakAttack

YakAttack Guest

Nice vid guys!

5. Hanover_Yakker

Hanover_Yakker Member

6. JoseC

JoseC Guest

The magic bullets would have been perfect for this install. Unfortunately I did not have any available. However, with all the screws used, I am pretty sure that geartrack isnt going anywhere.

The camera used is an oregon scientific ATC 9k. I decided to try something different than a gopro since I already have a gopro. I have not used it much but I have been very impressed with the video and image quality so far. Don't get me wrong, I really like my gopro. I just wanted to go with something different.

7. DanWulf

DanWulf New Member

I would like to purchase the Dogbone-Panfish portrait combo for my GoPro and mount the combo on a GearTrac (as showed in this video).

However, I'm slightly confused in relation to choice of size of RAM balls of the Dogbone and respective dobble arm adapter (1" or 1.5"?) Do I have a choice regarding size of the balls if I would like to build a combo? Or is 1" the way to go for both Dogbone and double arm adapter?

8. Shaun

Shaun Member

Hey Dan on the Yak Attack http://www.yakattack.us/Products/Products.html website you will find the DogBone offered in 12" lengths. The differences are the size of the balls at the ends.
    Example: The first option is DB101012. That's a 12" DogBone with 1" balls on both end.

The second option is the DB101512. It is a DogBone with the same 12" length but with one end being a 1" ball and the other end being a 1 1/2" ball.

Now after you get the size balls you need you will just need to get the "Double Ball connectors" to match. If you pick the first option "DB101012" for 1" balls on each end you would want to order the DB1010CON Connector kit. It includes two 1" RAM double socket arms.

By breaking it down like this it offers the customer a way to order just what he/she needs without having to pay for stuff they don't.

9. DanWulf

DanWulf New Member

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your prompt reply!

However, in order to combine the Dogbone/adaptors with the Panfish Portrait (PFPM model) for GearTrac mounting, I assume I need to know the size of the RAM ball used in the PFPM set. The ball size is not indicated at your website. If the PFPM set comes with a 1" RAM ball I guess I don't have a choice regarding the ball size for the respective Dogbone/adapter - I have to opt for the 1" ball size for both Dogbone and adaptor. I.e. DB101012 + DB1010CON.

So in order to build the combo shown in the video, we need:
    DB101012 + DB1010CON + PanFish Portrait (PFPM model) Option 2.

The above list of items is similar to the details given by you. However, as far as I understand only the above mentioned combination will allow the set-up of a combo as shown by JoseC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Greetings,
    Dan

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  10. rockcrawler

rockcrawler New Member

I believe the Panfish Portrait comes with 1" balls. Therefore you need a 1" ball on at least one end of your Dogbone. The other end of the dogbone depends on what size ball you have mounted on the kayak.

Personally, I would choose the 1.5" ball end on the kayak so you can support more weight at horizontal angles without slipping.

11. Shaun

Shaun Member

When I ordered mine I went from 1 1/2" ram ball at the kayak to 1" Ram ball at the Panfish Portrait.
    Here was my list of materials:
    SB15 (1 1/2" screwball.)
    DB101512 (1 1/2" to 1" DogBone)
    DB1015CON (Double ball connectors for each end.)
    SB1 (1" Screw ball to connect the Panfish Portrait to the double ball connector.)
    Panfish Portrait W/ Mountain option #2.

PFPMDB - Combined.JPG

12. DanWulf

DanWulf New Member

Hi,

A photo tells more than thousand words! :) Thanks for your time and efforts!

13. Shaun

Shaun Member

LOL...Your correct, sometimes words seem to get in the way. I'm extremely happy with mine. I'm getting some great pictures with the camera being down close to the water, and out from the kayak. I'm glad I could help.

14. DanWulf

DanWulf New Member

My plan is to use the combi in ordet to allow a fast shift from above/near water to underwater shootings. I'm still busy rigging my Hobie Revolution 13' but when the work is somehow completed I'll order the combi.

Shaun, If you pass by Copenhagen, Denmark and would like to go (kayak-) fishing please send me a note. I'm sure we could organize something.

15. Fish Taco

Fish Taco New Member

Sweet set-up!!! I think I need to emulate this on my yak... very nice! Thanks for sharing the picture... really does help tremendously to visualize it.